Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Wonderful Day

Well, today was a wonderful day. I (McKenzi) sang in church today, a wonderful song called "My Shepherd will supply my need," with another friend, while Jonny accompanied on the piano and another friend played the flute. I was nervous....sometimes in my efforts to sound good I strain my voice and it....well.... doesn't sound so nice. However, right before our time came to sing, I silently prayed for help....I didn't want this to be a performance about me...so that others would remark how nice a voice I had....I wanted those who heard my friend and I sing to want to come closer to the Savior..and to feel of His peace from the Holy Spirit.
All went even better than could have been hoped for. I was able to relax, now that I had taken the limelight off of me and gave it back to the Lord, and sang better than I have in years. It was nice to find out later that others really did appreciate the words and the feel of the song. Music really is powerful. It soothes the soul and can make you want to be better. It really is a gift from God. :)
Here are the words...it really is a beautiful song:

"My Shepherd will supply my need; Jehovah is His name;
In pastures fresh He makes me feed, beside the living stream.
He brings my wand'ring spirit back, when I forsake His ways,
and leads me for His mercy's sake, in paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death, thy presence is my stay;
One word of thy supporting breath drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes, doth still my table spread;
My sup with blessings over flows, thine oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God attend me all my days;
O may thy house be mine abode and all my words be praise!
There would I find a settled rest while otehrs go and come,
No more a stranger, nor a guest, but like a child at home.
No more a stranger, nor a guest, but like a child at home."

- Psalm 23, Paraphrase by Isaac Watts (1674-1740)
Melody from "Southern Harmony" 1835, Arranged by Mack Wilberg

I know the Lord loves us. He really is our Father, and loves each and every one of His children. He will supply our need if we will but call out to Him from the depths of our hearts. We can all feel of that love: it's just up to us to come unto Him...He's always waiting.

All my love,
McKenzi Harrop

No comments: